Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I shot Haiti

It was so easy,
all it took
was rubbing piles of earth
together
till they shook
foundations that couldn't stand up
to may breeze in Central Park,
never mind
a five point nine, no
I shot Haiti.

For years, I've been planning it.

Suffocating it with all kinds of
restrictions,
forcing it to establish
zones where souls
were freely traded
for food for dinner wishes
and mickey mouse nike dreams

starving by determining
what crops it could grow
forcing it to pay off debts
it would never know
the end of,
supporting the removal
of elected officials,

yes
I shot Haiti,

by ignoring
the boiling of the earth,
knowing that poor countries
with a large amount of coast
will be hit worst

by not paying attention
to its problems
since the last time it was
in turmoil,

then deciding to finish it off
with a coup de grace
of battering soil,

yes,
I shot Haiti,

like I shot New Orleans
and countless places before

"I don't think anyone could've
anticipated"

that a moderate earthquake
would devastate a poor country
already left bereft,
by reaganesque policies,
of any coping abilities?

we shot Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment